Sunday, April 14, 2013

Corban's Birth Story!

We welcome Corban Ryan Kelley!
A name we put lots of love and thought into.
Corban meaning gift devoted to God
Ryan- little king (middle name of Chris and a dear friend that passed, Brock)
Kelley-warrior
Born March.22.2013

We realize these stories will be similar but thought we'd offer a little of each of our perspective.  Be sure to check out the video at the end of the post as well!

As Chris sees it...

It's easier to be on the operating table.

If I had to pick one thing that I learned from Corban's birth it would be that it's easier to be on the painful side then on the supporting side. Stacy and I overeducated ourselves, attending classes, reading books, talking with friends, even writing out a birth plan to hand to the nurses when we arrived at the hospital. We were as prepared as we thought we could possibly be getting ready to have a baby. Everyone always asked me well are you guys ready, and I would jokingly respond, well can you ever be ready?

Nope, you can't! Corban's birth was amazing but nothing like we expected it would be. Having learned all about the side effects and risks of artificially induced labor, we were dead set on having a natural childbirth!

At 41 1/2 weeks and Stacy still showing no signs of going into labor, we reluctantly decided that we may have to do something to help this baby along. The induction was scheduled for an evening appointment to have the cervix ripened and the nervous excitement began.

A few hours before we were due at the hospital Stacy started showing some signs of natural labor. She had lost her mucous plug and after a walk around the neighborhood started having some measurable contractions. We were so excited! As we drove to the hospital to arrive for our scheduled check-in we prayed, "Jesus, maybe you could just relax the cervix now we could have the natural childbirth we always wanted."

Sure enough, when he arrived at the hospital Stacy had started dilating and was having regular contractions! She still had a ways to go but at least we had something to work with. When the doctor recommended that we stick with the plan and use a medication to encourage the labor along I knew we were in for a long fight.

It was hard for Stacy to accept the fact that she was going to have to be induced and it took a few tears and lots of encouragement to get her excited about that. Now we had the option to go back to the original plan and Stacy really struggled with what to do. She felt as though we had come here for an induction and she wanted to respect the people that had put everything in place for us to make that happen as easily as possible for me and the care that I would need over the long process. I had to remind her several times that this was about her and what she needed and not about the plans or schedules of the doctors and nurses. I always knew this about Stacy but it became really evident in this moment that once Stacy has envisioned how something is going to go it's really hard for her to change.  In this case, she had worked hard to envision an enjoyable labor with an induction and now she was facing a change. It took Stacy and I probably three hours, and three proposed interventions by the doctor, to finally come to the agreement that we were going to stick with our plan and do this the way we wanted, the natural way!

Within a few hours, Stacy's water broke, and then the real fun began. That threw Stacy into active labor and for the next 18 hours we got to use all knowledge we had learned in class. The doctors and nurses were great about following everything on our birth plan and respecting all the wishes that we had made.  With the help of our amazing doula we learned why they call it labor, and labor it was. Stacy endured through that whole night and the entire following day without any pain meds or any other interventions from the doctor. Then Stacy's body couldn't do it any longer. The contractions slowed down and lessened in intensity. We had to do something to keep the labor moving along so at this point Stacy opted for an epidural and some drugs to get the contractions going again.

Stacy was excited for a break from the pain and thought she may be able to get a little bit of rest before she was fully dilated and it was time to push. At this point I had been in my chair for 36 hours straight and decided I would try and lay down for a little while knowing that Stacy would be comfortable and we would have a bit of time to wait for the drugs to do their trick. I had asked my dad to be available just in case this happened. So he transferred me out of my chair and I laid down thinking I was going to get a bit of a break.

I think I was just starting to relax when all of a sudden the delivery room was full of doctors and we learned that Stacy's body and the baby could not handle the drugs she had been given. The doctors were concerned about the baby's health and were starting to talk about what they needed to do to get the baby out as quickly as possible. This was exactly what I did not want to happen, me stuck flat on my back unable to do anything and the birth about to happen. I sent a nurse to find my dad and they quickly got me pulled up out of bed and thrown back into my chair.

Within a matter of minutes the doctors were scrubbed up and I was just covered in a gown and we were rushed into the operating room for an emergency C-section. We weren't sure how this was going to go so they allowed my dad in the operating room as well in case I needed anything. That's when I learned my lesson.

Throughout my life I've had surgery multiple times and looked to my family and friends for support as I laid on an operating table. As my dad and I stood there, just outside the operating room, watching them prepare Stacy on the table.   I Learned how hard it is to watch a loved one go through something you have no control over.  I thought I was going to be able to handle it until my dad leaned over and asked me if I was okay.  At that moment I broke down into tears and once I could pull myself together told my dad, "It's easier to be on the operating table." "No it's not," he responded. But then after thinking about it for minute I think he understood what I was saying.

The C-section ended up going very smoothly and within a few minutes they had pulled out a beautiful baby. The doctor held it up over the curtain and I was able to see and screamed out, "It's a boy!"

The birth didn't go quite as we planned. But one thing I learned and would tell any expecting parent is that no matter how the baby arrives at the end of the day you still get the same baby. And that's all that matters. Corban is wonderful and these first few weeks have just been amazing with him!


As I experienced it...

  I remember to the beginning of this pregnancy journey and Chris and I not knowing much about anything labor or delivery.  We then decided towards the end that we would take a natural childbirth class at Sweet Beginnings, in downtown Littleton, CO.  We became hooked.  We loved the idea of the natural process, we loved the friends we made, we loved one of our doulas who taught the class, and we loved going on a date every Monday night before it!  We loved it all!  Let me tell you, we showed up to the hospital educated. 

I was 41 weeks and on my way to do a baby stress test.  We tried to set an induction at 42 weeks but the hospital was busy then and we were set for Thursday night, March 21.  That day I just kept praying for something significant to happen and of course it did.  At around 3pm I lost my mucous plug.  Not having a clue what that meant I was researching on google and then off walking we went.  We arrived at 7:30pm for our induction and they hooked me up to the monitors.  We found I was having regular contractions and after an extremely painful check I was 70% effaced and 1cm dilated.  After much debate we decided to let my body do its thing.  Chris, his dad, and I settled in for a game of Yahtzee.  After losing I got in the hospital bed and to my surprise my water broke,  everywhere!  I was sitting in a crazy amount of fluid.  Contractions started to get real serious after this and Chris called up the team...my doula and photographer. 

After 22 hours of natural childbirth and a slow down in contractions I needed a kick to get the baby out.  I needed pitosin.  I was doing great managing my own contractions but I was pooped to have them longer and stronger so I opted for an epidural first and then pitosin.  I thought baby wouldn't be here for at least 2 hrs so I wanted Chris to get out of his chair and off his bottom and rest in the bed next to me for a bit.  Next thing you know baby's heart rate drops and we have a team of nurses and doctors in the room and the doctors hand tapping the baby's head inside of me.  I have oxygen put on and Chris is calling for his dad and to get back in his chair.  In 4 minutes time we are all transferred, Chris and his dad all scrubbed in and we are ready to meet baby.  Still not knowing whether its a boy or girl the doctors plan was to lift the baby above the curtain and for Chris to call out the gender.  It's a boy!  A room filled with emotion and such excitement!  Chris and I welcome Corban Ryan Kelley!

I must tell you I had a fabulous team of support around me and without them it would not have been the same.  My Doctor,  my nurse anesthesist, who's a second mom to Chris And I, thank you Momma Linda,  our divine doula Misty, and her friend and phenomenal photographer Jen Benker at jbenkerphotography.com.  We applaud you!  A special thanks to our families and friends for adventuring with us!  We love you all.  An extra special thanks for middle of the night turn help from Ben and our dear friend and caregiver Rachel.



1 comment:

  1. so wonderful and so happy for healthy, happy baby Corbin. Now the REAL work begins! Love you all.

    ReplyDelete