Change.
Sometimes we fight it.
Sometimes we hate it.
Sometimes it's AWESOME!
The definition of change is an event that occurs when something passes from one state or phase to another. I think Chris and I are living in a constant state of change.
On July 4, 2012 While vacationing in Nebraska I was watching my handsome husband walk to the end of the dock after a wonderful game of UNO. We were all so hot and ready for a dip in the lake. I kept watching Chris and had realized he was floating funny. I then ran, jumped in and turned him around to find my husband in a state of blue. Shocked and yelling, "911", we got him out of the water and started doing chest compressions. To all my beautiful praying wives out there, we pray for our husbands but in this moment I was fighting with Jesus for his life. I can't express how thankful I am for the daily hugs God gives me but this was a HUGE moment. I prayed that Chris would breathe in the name of Jesus and he started spitting out water! Blessing one!
We then got Chris to the hospital and they informed us that we would need to do flight for life back to Denver. There isn't a whole lot of room on the helicopters so we had to drive the longest 4 hour drive from Nebraska back to Denver Health, a level one trauma hospital. Later in the evening they told us they wanted us to go home and get rest and we would do surgery in the a.m. As anyone knows how hard it is to leave a loved one in the ICU, pure crazy! But I decided I should try and run home and get a few things done. The number one thing on my mind was to take a pregnancy test. Of course when you're married you don't quite dream of doing this with your best friend, but ladies, sometimes you just have to know!! Of course I start bawling as the test tells me positive! Blessing Two!
POSITIVE!
Is my husband going to live? What does this mean? We just came off birth control, is this for real?! Well, it's 30 weeks later and I can tell you it is for real! I'm the pregnant, caregiving, full-time working, hairstyling, loving wife. In the last six months a lot has changed. We sold our favorite house we designed together in Cherry Creek and moved to another more accessible house near the University of Denver. We now live closer to Craig Hospital where Chris continues to do outpatient rehab after our almost 3-month inpatient stay where we made lifelong friends. Every day life gets a little more routine, but of course in 2 months that will all change again!As some of you already know, and as many of you are about to find out, walking through a spinal cord injury is a crazy roller coaster ride where you're not quite sure what the next hour or even 15 minute is going to bring. Welcome to our ride!



love you guys! always praying.
ReplyDeleteStacy and Chris, this is awesome. Thank you for sharing your lives with us! I couldn't help but shed a few tears hearing this story again. God is so good. And I love you so much.
ReplyDeleteStacy, you are an excellent writer! I believe this story will become a book, published to encourage others and show how your FAITH has held you all three of you together. I am so excited about your baby!
ReplyDelete