mentally and spiritually because of it. Things that you may think of
as impossible become possible. It's a curative power or quality.
Therapy, therapy, therapy!
I laugh because my family knows how big of an advocate I am of all types of therapy. Tons of therapy! I believe in it, love it, and all together I see therapy making a huge difference in our daily life.
Massage. Ok, there are many benefits to massage therapy. Chris still experiences a great deal of pain in his neck daily. I find that when he gets a massage it loosens his neck and shoulders and provides him with more movement and some temporary relief. A technique called dry brushing our massage therapist uses has been increasing movement in his right leg. The first time it was done we were shocked as he wiggled his right toes on his own. AWESOME!
Manual. Manual therapy, as I understand it, is a physical therapist with advanced training. Chris' manual therapist used stretching and dry needling, a practice using acupuncture needles, in his neck to release tightness. When doing this every week Chris has a wider range of motion. We are in the process of finding a new one, if you know of any please let us know.
Physical. He spends about 3 hours, 2 times a week in the Peak Center at Craig Hospital working with physical therapists doing AMAZING things. Exercises that push him to the max! One of his favorites is the pool therapy at Craig. Those who know him well know his love for all things WATER. He was a swimmer in high school and still tells me of his record in the backstroke. I will never forget his first experience back in the water after nearly drowning. He waited somewhat patiently to get off the vent and for the hole in his neck from the tracheotomy to close to be eligible for pool therapy. My husband's strength and character often astounds me as he asked the therapist if she would dunk him. Not for long, but wanting to overcome any fear, he takes a deep breath and she dunks him. He comes up and says "Thanks, but I don't want to do that again". Physical therapy stretches you!
Occupational. This type of therapy helps Chris become more independent in daily life. They cast for finger splints and make adaptable equipment for brushing your teeth, eating, and shaving. He was recently excited about being able to open our fridge, unlock the front door, and turn on and off the lights and firepace. I even found him willing to help fold towels and vacuum. This is the one therapy that insurance covers and we are thankful.
Phsyco. I think this is more for ME! I am a HUGE promoter of everyones mental health. I am so thankful for this person in my life. She has known me from when I was writing pros and con lists on whether to marry Chris to being my biggest encourager and help during the past six months. I know I am a deep thinker and an old soul but I just love people. Loving people is great but as we all know some people are a little crazy. My therapist helps me navigate the crazy.
Shopping. I would always recognize this as one of my favorites but it is not as satisfying to me PREGNANT. I fit into nothing, not even my own shoes. I'd love to hear how other women have felt about this but I have not had the desire for much shopping. I hope my desire returns in a few months. This has probably been replaced by my love for yummy food! Which it's time for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment